Tuesday, July 23, 2013

New Toy

It's my birthday today! Yay!

One of my presents (that was really for graduation, but I just downloaded/bought it the other day) was Scrivener, which I kind of fell in love with while researching for my editing. Aaand I spent the morning wading through the tutorial and getting my manuscript onto the program!

Now it looks a bit like this!


It's super exciting, and the program is really great. I expanded my chapters a bit to show you- on the left, see? It had the parts, which I broke down by where my character is, since she changes location drastically about halfway through the book, then the chapter, then scene. It really is nice for editing purposes. So easy to locate things. I also just finished tagging the scenes I've already edited with the characters and important things present. There's also a place on the right there that I could use to make notes on what needs to be fixed... It's just wonderful. And now I need to stop procrastinating and edit.

I haven't made much progress since last post- I went to visit family and was a bit busy having fun in their pool. Also they have five kids and I have an excuse there somewhere.

Also, here's a sketch!



It was from a few months ago, trying to learn how to draw older faces. I need to work on it, since I have a few characters well into their seventies. I'm getting better- I drew another one just recently but haven't uploaded it, but I thought it came out pretty well.

I don't know if this is really anything like a character of mine, but I was thinking of Darius when I started. Don't think it's really like him. But hey.

Due to Scrivener not having page numbers (that I can find) the page count will be a guesstimate from now on.

So far, since I just put it on Scrivener, the Word page count still works so I'm on page 95/415.

Problems I'm Thinking About:
-general suckage
-character consistency
-mastering the use of dialogue
-well-rounded characters
-concise story-arcs for chapters

2 comments: